Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Fans 1, Game 0

Dr. Uetz
Baseball has changed a bit over the years. Okay, so call me Captain Obvious. But it's a role we all play from time to time. And that should be okay.

So the game has changed a bit, or the world of the game. And I know that all things change - ever hear of manufacturing jobs with pensions and benefits? - and baseball is not immune. But that doesn't mean I can't bitch about it.

As a fan of the National League (aka, THE League), I have a natural hatred of the designated hitter and a healthy distrust of anyone who claims to be a "true fan" and defends the DH. I agree with Crash Davis that their "ought to be a Constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf." (We've already covered the DH.) Even though it might be intriguing to have interleague play when it comes to the Cubs/White Sox, Mets/Yankees, etc, interleague play sucks balls. This weekend the Mets and the Orioles will meet. But they shouldn't. They met in 1969 via the only means they should ever meet, the f'ing World Series (I have Game 5 on tape if you want to come watch it - just bring a bottle of Maker's Mark).

The latest thing is fans voting for the All-Star rosters. Okay, I can see the fun in that. But are fans necessarily the most qualified? Is it really the best way to select All-Stars? It's debatable, at best. I love the game of baseball. I read box scores every morning (at least every morning the piece of crap Des Moines Register decides to actually print box scores). I discuss the game and its players with my friends. I try to educate myself on who's who and what's what. But I'll be the first one to tell you that I am not qualified to select the All-Star team.

And now it's gone even farther, with fans voting on Minor League Baseball's All-Stars. Seriously. I'm not kidding. Real quick, name 5 minor league players. Now quick, give me a reason they are All-Star worthy. How did you do? Exactly.

I'm all for getting fans involved. I'm all for trying new things. But baseball is not the Rubik's Cube of sports. It's America's game. It's a tradition. It's been around since before the completion of the transcontinental railroad in 1869(The Cincinnati Red Stockings went entirely pro the same year; that's 100 years before the Amazin' Mets took the O's in 5 games). And it will still be here after rail travel in America is nothing but a one day chapter in US History classes. Let's not cheapen it the way we have let corporations and television cheapen everything else that could be great about this country.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home