Friday, January 20, 2006

The Search for the Superstar DH

MIKE POPELKA

Almost three years ago, I moved from Chicago to Seattle in a move my wife and I agreed was a good idea. In Seattle the real estate is slightly cheaper, the mountain and water views are incredible, and there aren’t as many hippies or rainstorms as many have been led to believe. Aside from the weekly reruns of “Almost Live”, the biggest drawback to living in Seattle is the horrible crap that passes for baseball out here. I’ve been a Cubs fan since my family got cable around 1987, and I am finding it incredibly difficult to even pretend to care about the Mariners. I know that it’s a tired argument, but the designated hitter rule has more to do with my distaste for the Mariners than anything else.

One of the most oft used arguments for keeping the DH is that it extends the careers of star players. Do you know who the Mariners’ DH is for 2006? Carl Everett. Yep, the guy who believes that dinosaurs never existed and who has averaged a .270 BA and 16 homers for the past five years is going to help the Mariners win a World Series. Do we really need to extend the careers of guys like this? Some of the other “superstars” that are projected to start at DH this coming season include Juan Rivera, Bobby Kielty, Eric Hinske, Ty Wigginton, Travis Hafner, Phil Nevin, and Rondell White. I highly doubt that the Devil Rays’ new slogan is “Watch Ty Wigginton’s career come to a grinding halt when other teams realize he’s not a good hitter.” This guy’s only job is to bat? Wow.

Don’t get me wrong; I do understand that not all designated hitters are C grade baseball players. Jim Thome, Bernie Williams, and David Ortiz are genuine stars that will play this negligible position in 2006, but they should have retired when their skills declined instead of being allowed to play half the game. Thome was completely outplayed last year in Philly, and Bernie Baseball has been a less than average player for around three years. As for Ortiz, he played the field in Minnesota and was lucky to hit 20 homers in a season. Can this be explained by youthful mistakes at the plate, or a fat guy getting tired playing first base? You make the call.

Since I will be attending several Mariners games this summer (apathetically and wearing a Cubs hat mind you), I feel that I have the right to demand something from all American League owners: stop telling fans that the DH is for “superstars that can still contribute.” Be honest and say something more like, “The DH is for guys who aren’t that great at Major League Baseball, but aren’t too expensive,” or “The DH is for guys who used to play really, really well but can only sort of hit now.” If I want to watch a washed up superstar do half their job, my gate admission should cost half as much. Take that, Howard Lincoln!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home