Thursday, July 20, 2006

Mets, Blue Jays, torment


Dr. Uetz
I have to admit that I'm beginning to get worried about the Mets; or more so the Mets fans who are about to begin emerging from the woodwork. They'll be harder to handle than the Braves fans I encounter.

It's hell to deal with the bandwagoneers. But they are a fact of life. And we true fans find ourselves defending the truth of our allegiance to idiots and snake oil salesmen. Soon I'll be forced into dropping names like Doug Sisk, Danny Heep, Rusty Staub, Ed Kranepool . . . you understand. It's part of life when you are lucky enough to live and die with a team that's hot. I can only imagine what Tigers fans are going through.

So I'm preparing myself mentally for the hoots and hollers of the world's newest Mets fans, who just last year were White Sox fans, and Red Sox fans the year before, and I'm sure they reveled in the long history of the Marlins at one point, too.

What about Toronto? Well, once again I'm pissed at The Des Moines Register - the world's least informative sports page - Today's transaction list included a mention of Toronto designating Shea Hillenbrand for assignment. The Register included one other sentence about this. One. Seriously, one of the league leaders in hitting is designated for assignment and that's all the coverage we get? Of course this is the same paper that gave us "Casey Watch." THat's right, every day we got to see how native Iowan Casey Blake was doing; that is, of course, until he went into a slump.

On that note, I do believe it's time for a cocktail. Go Mets!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home