Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Clásico Mundial de Beisból


Ben Godar

If you missed today's games in the World Baseball Classic, it's time to set your Tivo or quit your job.

What happened on the field today was no half-speed, half-ass exhibition game. The action was unlike anything you've ever seen in March, and even rivalling the intensity of what you've seen in October.

I saw Johan Santana barking at the umpire about a narrow strike zone. I saw Carlos Zambrano throw Albert Pujols a 99mph fastball. I saw Big Papi and Adrian Beltre each leave the yard ... twice.

Even more impressive were the fans of the Dominican and Venezuelan teams. It wasn't just their passion and enthusiasm - it was their knowledge. This was a crowd that appreciated moving a runner to third. This was a crowd I wanted to have a beer with. I still had a beer, but I wish it was with them.

Hell, these must be big games - Alex Rodriguez didn't drive in a run.

So while the owners gripe about injuries and the papers detail the women's fertility drugs Barry Bonds is on, I encourage true fans of The Game to check out the WBC. Roger Clemens will be there for his country; I'll just be there for some baseball.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home